(originally written May, 2012)
The following post is something I have as an "introductory" text box on my "Running On Two cylinders" blog. I thought it would make a good first-post on this one.
When you're struggling with getting things done, and feeling as if
you're running on only some of your usual six or eight cylinders
(depending on whether "usual" for you is six or eight cylinders, and
there are differences between individuals when it comes to their normal
energy levels), the words, "exhausted", "exhaustion", "physically
exhausted" and/or "mentally exhausted" can seem to crop up in your mind
on a regular basis.
In a world so ready to assume that
feeling bad must be depression, the word, "depression", may be another
one that crops up in your mind.
Maybe you're not sure
about whether it's exhaustion or depression, so maybe you start looking
up signs of depression to see if you think they might apply to you.
Even before looking up signs of depression you may know, yourself that
you don't really think you have depression; because you may know that
you're certainly capable of being in a good mood. You may not, however,
trust your own "diagnosis" or "not-depressed"; and since you're a
reasonable and objective person, you decide to first consider that how
you're feeling could possibly be depression.
Perhaps
you look up signs of depression in any number of places, and maybe you
look them up whenever you're thinking about how badly you need some kind
of help with how bad you feel. Depending on how exhausted you're
feeling (or whether or not you're having a good or bad day when you look
up those signs of depression), you may see a couple or a few symptoms
that make you think you can't rule out the possibility of depression.
Then again, you may see enough that would suggest you COULD rule it out
that you settle on thinking that if your problem is, in fact,
depression; it's probably a very mild form of it. That may be when you
decide that depression isn't particularly what you should be focusing on
in your efforts to find some kind of help somewhere/somehow/ After
all, you wouldn't have been looking up signs of depression if you
weren't feeling that bad and so often thinking of words like
"exhausted".
For a brief moment you may wonder if it
even matters what, exactly, the name of your problem is. You wonder if
anti-depressants may help. You know that all kinds of people live on
anti-depressants. Some say they don't help a bit. Others say that
help. Then, however, you may remember that your life is filled with
things that have added up and contributed to your exhaustion. You may
think about side effects that anti-depressants may cause, and then ask
yourself if you really want to risk side effects when you know that even
if your exhaustion is now something that's "wrong with you" at this
point the cause of it is clearly from things around you and/or in your
life. In other words, if your "chemicals" are "off" you're not
surprised and wouldn't be normal if they weren't "off" under your
particular circumstances.
So, you may decide to look up
"exhaustion" instead of "depression". One problem is that finding
something that seems to adequately understand and address your kind of
exhaustion can be really difficult. First, looking up "exhaustion" is
likely to get you all kinds of sites (including expert ones) that tell
you that the solution is to reduce stress, sleep more, eat better,
exercise more, and change any situation that's causing you problems.
Second (before getting into some of the problems with material you may
find), you're exhausted. Exhausted people can have trouble dealing with
the frustration of looking "all over the Internet" for what they
want/need to find. You may not even really know what it is you
want/need. You may ask yourself what, exactly, you're hoping to find.
The answer may be something along the lines of "I don't know... an an
answer about whether I may have depression, advice about how to feel
better if I'm exhausted, words that seem to understand what I'm going
through? I'm just looking for some kind of thing that might help me
figure out how to get out of my exhaustion."
You may
notice that you're running into "burnout" articles, and you may notice
that most of them involve job burnout. Your problem isn't your job, but
you may think those "burnout" articles may have something to offer
you. What they so often offer are a few discussions about how
job-burnout happens. Then they may tell you to reduce stress, sleep
more, eat better, eat better, exercise more, and think about changing
jobs (or even careers).
So, maybe you quickly discover
that job-burnout material isn't what you really need, and you try to
think up other terms to search in your effort to find something about
exhaustion. You probably don't have to think very long, however,
because when you were looking up exhaustion originally, looking at
depression sites, and viewing those job-burnout sites you probably ran
into at least a few things about adrenal fatigue. In fact, maybe you
already read some things about adrenal fatigue. Maybe you didn't.
Either way, there's a good chance the adrenal-fatigue material isn't all
that helpful to you either. Here's why:
First,
adrenal fatigue is a subject that involves a lot of people trying to
sell a lot of nutritional supplements and books. "Adrenal fatigue" or
"Adrenal Insufficiency" are terms used when the adrenal gland isn't
functioning (to use a non-medical phrase) "up to par". Basically,
stress can put a strain on adrenal glands because it is the adrenal
glands that help us meet our cortisol needs in order to keep functioning
well under stress. Adrenal fatigue is said to result when the adrenal
glands have essentially been over-worked and (to use another non-medical
term that I've run into more than once) "run out of juice".
In
any case, you may decide to read up on adrenal fatigue. One
easy-to-discover problem can be that the exhausted you may run into one
after another sales sites, many of which offer a quickie-blurb article
on adrenal fatigue (and one that says pretty much the same thing as all
the other sales-based "adrenal-fatigue" sites do. These sites may be
offered by people who are physicians (or only claim to be); and even if
the articles on those sites aren't all "quickie-blurb" articles, many of
them are graced with the letters, "M.D." next to their authors. One
might think that should be reassuring (and even a "deal-sealer"), but it
isn't reassuring for you because a) you don't even know if you could
trust the product in the first place, and b) you're not planning to buy
something without knowing for certain what, exactly, is wrong with you.
Besides, you don't really think there's anything wrong with you other
than some circumstance(s) in your life that you cannot possibly change
at the moment.
Second, there can be a lot of different
ideas out there with regard to adrenal fatigue. Those ideas include
everything from "it's not really a condition the way it's being
presented" to "about 80% of the people have adrenal fatigue". What
isn't debated, nuanced, or otherwise unclear is that if adrenal glands
lack x amount of functioning, and to the extent that it meets the
"measure" for this particular diagnoses; in its extreme form adrenal
insufficiency is Addison's Disease.
Needless to say, most people don't have Addison's Disease, so let's
leave Addison's Disease out of the discussion here and focus only on
"run-of-the-mill" adrenal "issues".
Since you've
decided to read a little more about adrenal fatigue, you may have run
into sites that focus only on two symptoms associated with adrenal
problems - having trouble getting up and running mornings, and
discovering you're in an "afternoon slump". Sometimes those who focus
mostly on those two symptoms will even point out, "Yes, you have trouble
getting up and running because you don't sleep well (or enough)," and
"Yes, it's true your afternoon slump could result from the fact that you
eat peanutbutter cups for lunch (because you're so busy, hurried,
stressed out, and even to exhausted to make a better lunch); but your
not getting the right sleep, and the fact that you're eating candy for
lunch, are symptoms of your stress and exhaustion and not the cause of
it (which is, of course, adrenal fatigue - so buy the nutritional
supplement or book that I'm pushing online)." Some of those sites may
give you the distinct feeling they aren't addressing a problem that's as
"legitimate" as yours, because you know that while you have trouble
getting started upon waking up, and have a heck of a lot more slumps
than just afternoon slumps; you have other symptoms as well.
Sites
that take adrenal fatigue more seriously usually offer lots of other
symptoms of it that would differentiate the run-of-the-mill slumps and
tiredness of busy, but "OK enough", people whose only signs are
sometimes the main two mentioned on all those sales sites.
So,
maybe you've figured out how to find the "more serious" and more
"legitimate" sites offering information about adrenal fatigue. Maybe
you've even discovered that you actually do have some of those symptoms
that would seem to differentiate you from other people whose symptoms
"could be anything" or "could be absolutely nothing". Maybe you do
crave salt and/or sugar. May exercise does make you feel "depleted
rather than invigorated". Maybe you have noticed that you're
particularly bothered by extreme temperatures. Maybe you're even
convinced that you (considering the stress under which you've lived for
so long) most likely do have at least a mild case of adrenal
exhaustion. That may be when you decide to read up on things a person
can do about adrenal fatigue, and that may be when you run into all the
usual stuff (eat better, sleep better, exercise more, reduce stress, and
change any situation that's causing you stress). On adrenal-fatigue
sites, however, you may also run into some additional suggestions about
dealing with the problem. Those suggestions generally include a) stop
taking in caffeine, sugar and fat, and b) eat a healthy
fruits/vegetables diet (but let's mention, yet again, that you ought to
be reducing your stress, sleeping better, and exercising). There may be
additional information about all the terrible things that caffeine and
sugar can do, especially to the person with adrenal fatigue. You may
have no particular reason to doubt the information
Now,
while I'm fairly comfortable making some guesses about what you may
start looking up online if you're feeling exhausted and/or, maybe,
mildly depressed; and while I'm very comfortable giving my own take on
what you may find online when you start that "looking-for-answers/help"
effort; I'm not comfortable making guesses about what you, personally,
make think when you see some of the advice about adrenal fatigue. So,
I'll you my own reaction to so much of what's out there in terms of
advice (and I'll keep my words to a minimum, for now because I can
always further expand on points in later posts).
Whenever
I've considered the "program"/course-of-action suggested for those with
adrenal fatigue, I've always thought, "Well, I could do all that if I
could just go lie down on the couch and not function in my life for a
few weeks - but I can't."
I know that in my own
situation all the causes of my long-term, unrelenting, and extreme
stress are related to things in my life (not in the way I deal with
stress). I'm an expert at coping and dealing with stress, I have to
say. Hell - I deserve some big prize for my ability to cope with, keep
going, and even remain reasonably upbeat and optimistic under stress. I
did nothing to bring on my own world's worth of stress, and stopping it
is beyond my control. The Internet (and the world in general) is full
of advice about how when we can't stop stress we need to "learn how not
to respond to it" by "not letting it get to us" or otherwise be "better"
at how much we let it bother us. The fact is there can be things in
life that bring on terrible stress, and deciding "not to care" or to put
things in perspective aren't even realistic aims. People who haven't
experienced the kind of stress in which "not responding the wrong way"
will help often don't even understand that that kind of stress exists. A
good example may be in the case of a mother who knows someone or
something has hurt (even if not physically) her child or children. When
the stress is caused by not having the money to pay the phone bill,
"not caring" and "not letting it get to you", can actually be easy
enough. When the stress is something like seeing one's child/children
or their lives made more difficult by someone/something, no normal
mother in the world is capable of thinking, "Oh well, I'm not going to
let that get to me." So sometimes, when we can't change our situation
or what's making us stressed out and exhausted; the idea that changing
how we respond to it is the "be-all-and-end-all" of answers to our
problem just doesn't cut it.
More later...
This blog is one of a group of blogs that I've set up as what I've called, "notebooks". The style I'm using to present posts/thoughts/issues is just that - notebook style, which means no frills, little formality, and a very narrow focus on a very narrow subject.
When I say, "no frills...little formality" I don't mean "as in only-care-if-I-can-read-the-notes". What I mean by that is that posts are "raw material" that I may/may not incorporate into more polished material somewhere else. My aim in creating a blog/"notebook" for each very narrow subject, however, is to present material/thoughts on each subject all in one place so that anyone who comes across one of the blogs will find a number of things (sometimes very specific, sometimes broader, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes just a quick thought) related to the very narrow subject. For the larger context within which any of the "isolated" subjects may relate to any of the others, I'll provide appropriate links to other "notebooks".
When I say, "no frills...little formality" I don't mean "as in only-care-if-I-can-read-the-notes". What I mean by that is that posts are "raw material" that I may/may not incorporate into more polished material somewhere else. My aim in creating a blog/"notebook" for each very narrow subject, however, is to present material/thoughts on each subject all in one place so that anyone who comes across one of the blogs will find a number of things (sometimes very specific, sometimes broader, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes just a quick thought) related to the very narrow subject. For the larger context within which any of the "isolated" subjects may relate to any of the others, I'll provide appropriate links to other "notebooks".
Sunday, May 15, 2016
The Seemingly Answer-less Problem of SOME Exhaustion Caused by SOME Types/Degrees of Stress
Labels:
burn-out,
burnout,
exhaustion,
feel exhausted,
feel tired
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment